Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tina's Proportion Post

Part 1. Define

Ratio.
A comparison of 2 quantities that have the same 
unit of measure. For example..








































Rate.
Rate compares 2 quantities measured in different units. For example........

Proportion.
An equation that states that two ratios are equal. For example...........
Part 2. Answer/Solve

1. 5 hours to travel 360 kilometers is about 72 km/h.

This is what I did to solve this.



















Another Way I did it was like this: 


2. Emma saves 28 cents of every dollar that she earns.  Emma earned $75 last week.  How much money did Emma save last week?

This is how I solved it.

















Another way I solved it was like this:

















Part 3. What are the three ways you can prove that equivalent ratio statements are true?

1. 3/4 = 12/16 

















































2. 4/9=16/32.
This statement is not true; is not correct, because 4 can go into 16, but 9 can't go into 32. Because 9x3=27, and 9x4=36, So then there is no 32 in the 9's time table. So the 32 should be 36.

Here's a picture of what I mean.

















Part 4. Video

















Task 5. http://www.concurringopinions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/CrimeInAmerica2.jpg

Does this seem fair?  No it's not fair

With what you know about proportion, then look and read what is in the image above.  Does it seem just and fair? No, it's really not just and fair. Because the lady gave him 3 stacks of bills, he only took a 100 dollar bill and returned the rest of the money. In proportion it would be like this: $/Sentence in prison, 3Billion/40Months = 1Hundred/180Months. If you look at it you will notice right away that it is definitely not fair, because you can see the big difference in the numbers. 

Why have you made this choice? Because he only took a $100 bill, and got 15 years in prison. This wasn't 1st degree robbery because he didn't have a weapon. Plus it was only because he was homeless and poor! He even turned himself in because, he said his mother didn't raise him that way! While the other guy stole 3 billion dollars and only got 3 years in prison!

What would you have done if you were the judge? I would've sentenced the guy who stole $100 to 1 month and 3 weeks in prison, because even if he turned himself in he still 'stole' $100. And for the guy who stole 3 Billion dollars, I would put him in 17 years in Prison, because he stole a lot of money.


Part 6. Bonus Question!

Im Choosing The Kid in the woods.



















My Own Question is: How tall are the trees?

My Answer to that is : The boy looks about 13 yrs old. An Average boy height at that height is about 5 feet. Then I used my thumb to see how many of the kid it would take to reach the top of the tree. About 3.5 kids would be needed about his height to reach the top. After that I multiplied 5x3.5 which is 17.5. So Then I rounded up, So 18. I think the trees are approximately 18 feet tall.

1 comment:

  1. My impression on my post would be that it was that it looks like it is confusing, but it's not if you read carefully, and that this helps you understand a little more on proportion, ratio and rate. I think my first star would be that I have a lot of pictures that I made myself. My second star would have to be that I showed all of the work that I have done to get to the answer for the question. My third star would be that I put a lot of time and effort making this post. My wish is to learn how to make my own videos, so that I don't have to find a video on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete